Friday, March 18, 2011



It is funny how I get so anxious to talk about art sometimes after long periods of working and not talking to any other artists. Ultimately what I’m thinking and trying to say does not always come out how I would like. I am sure this was apparent last night. Aside from skipping over my thoughts and words I managed to have a great conversation with a few fellow artists.
While talking one of the questions came up was “What do you do when you can’t draw that day?” My reply at the moment was “Push yourself and just draw. Draw the stuff you do know and start moving into the stuff you don’t. At some point while you’re working things will start to click visually for you and give you the confidence to start handling those problems you want to work on.

Hmmm … do I follow my own advice and was that prefect thing to have said? I don’t want to be giving out bad advice; I’ve been guilty of that before, I’m sure. So here it is today and I have to work on an item that does not seem to be working. So I pull out a piece of scratch paper and start drawing. Some of it is ok and some is just crap but I keep moving on the page until I start coming up with a piece that is visually decent.
So here are few of the drawings I did before I started in on finishing up work. I didn’t let myself spend too much time on each one. I just did one then moved on to the other.

In the past when I would hit a wall I would just walk away for a moment just to change my thinking. I would go skate, find a piece of music, or look to something that inspires me visually. Then when I return to the task at hand I can approach it perhaps a little differently.

Everyone is different and each artist will figure out what works for them as they continue working. If you have a better method then mine let me know I would love to hear it.
All the BEST!!

No comments: